Everyone has at least 5 minutes a day to work on a stronger lower body! Strength exercises are important to create healthy strong muscles. If you enjoy aerobic exercise, strength is a nice complement for a day off to cross train. This is such a quick workout as well, so even if your day is very busy- set your alarm 5 minutes early and start your day off right!
1) Plie (Minutes 0-1:00)
– Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, arms at sides, toes turned out.
– Tuck tailbone under and contract glutes.
– Lower body into a plié squat as low as you can go without allowing knees to creep past toes.
– Simultaneously raise arms to shoulder height in front of body, palms down. Hold for 2 seconds, then return to starting position.
– After 20 reps, pulse at the bottom for 20 seconds.
2) Touchdown (Minutes 1:00-2:00)
– Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointed forward.
– Squat down until knees are bent 90 degrees.
– Step left leg back into a deep reverse lunge, placing right hand along outside of right thigh or touching the floor.
– Raise left hand in front of face, palm facing out.
– Return to starting position and repeat, alternating sides.
3) Explosive Lunge (Minutes 2:00-3:00)
– Lunge forward with left leg until knee is bent 90 degrees, directly over ankle, right knee pointing toward floor.
– Jump up, pushing off the floor with both feet. Switch legs in midair, landing with right foot forward in a lunge. Continue, alternating sides.
4) Single-Leg Squat with Towel (Minutes 3:00-4:00)
– Stand with feet together, toes pointed forward, arms at sides with right foot on top of a small folded towel.
– Shifting weight to left leg, bend left knee 45 to 90 degrees while sliding right leg and towel slowly out to the side as far as is comfortable for a count of 4.
– Slowly draw right leg back to start for a count of 4 while straightening left leg.
– Repeat for 30 seconds; switch sides.
5) Squat with Kick-Back
– Stand with legs shoulder-width apart, arms at sides.
– Sit back into a squat keeping weight on heels, then lift right leg straight behind you, keeping hips pointing forward while extending arms.
– Return to start and switch sides.